At Anaeko, we worked with some of the biggest names in Cloud Storage Integration Business and we learned how to optimise a lot of data. As the world is moving to cloud-based data for managing zettabytes of data, we offer solutions to better optimise the information and to get more value out of it.
With more and more devices and sensors connected online and also interconnected, there is a data explosion as the need for data grows. The demand for Object-based Storage grows and lead to the discovery of unstructured data.
IDC, in collaboration with IBM, made an infographic about the Demand for Object-based Storage.
The Data Explosion
There were 12 Zettabytes of information created worldwide in 2016 and, until 2022 there will be 44 zettabytes.
Over 80% is unstructured data.
There are 3 main milestones behind the Data Growth:
- There are 30 billion endpoint internet connect things like sensors, appliances, wearables etc
- There will be 2 billion smartphone units and corporate-liable tablets shipped worldwide by 2020
- From the web, video, images, social, audio, genomics, log files and other types of data, 80% is unstructured data
The Business Case for Object-based Storage
As the amount of data used and requested grows more and more, many businesses are seeking Object-Based Storage Technology.
From the IDC's Understanding En-User Object-based Storage Adoption and Trends Survey, we find out the Top 5 Perceived vs. Actual Benefits of the Object-based Storage:
- Reduced provisioning times are perceived as being a 55% benefit of OBS while the Actual Benefit is 67%
- Improved flexibility is offering a 60% benefit but is only perceived as 44%
- Reduced CAPEX cost almost the same Pervcieved vs. Actual percentages, 53% vs. 52%
- Reduced OPEX cost has a good difference as being a benefit. 51% Actual vs. 36% Perceived
- The No vendor lock-in is only 19% perceived as a benefit when it is Actually a 30% benefit of OBS
The Highlights we can learn from The Business Case for Object-based Storage are:
- The top benefits achieved are Reduced provisioning time, reduced cost and improved flexibility
- For many organisations the No vendor lock-in is important
- The Actual benefits of OBS are greater than those perceived
The Object-based Storage Adoption (or OBS Adoption) is Accelerating and Real
The current OBS adoption by midsize and large companies: 83% of companies are using or evaluating OBS.
The OBS capacity deployed by midsize and large companies numbers are:
- 26% are currently evaluating
- 15% are currently testing/running
- 31% are running in production
- and 11% of companies will deploy, evaluate or test in future
- 50% using OBS have datasets ranging from 1 Petabyte to 100 Petabytes
- 17% using OBS have datasets ver 100 Petabytes
The Highlights we can learn from The Object-based Storage Adoption are:
- The Datasets are growing rapidly
- An additional of 41% of companies are currently evaluating
- 31% are using OBS in the production environment
- There is an Object-based Storage adoption traction in the 1 Petabyte to 100 Petabytes range
The Object-based Storage Use Cases pie chart
- OBS Solutions Deployed in organizations are 50% NAS replacement.
- 18% are Net-new deployments
- and Almost a Third is Both, NAS replacement and Net-new deployment
The Highlights we can learn from The Object-based Storage Use Cases pie chart are:
- There is a growing use for net new deployments as Social, Mobile, Cloud, Big Data, Analytics and Cognitive
- The last 2 years accelerated the aoption of OBS as a replacement for NAS
- The Early adoption was for archiving and retention and also for backup
How to get Started with Object-based Storage adoption for Cloud Storage Integration
- Asses which workloads can be moved to an OBS solution
- Project data growth for these workloads
- Choose optimal delivery model (private cloud, public cloud or hybrid cloud)
- Determine the critical capabilities required for your organization
- Evaluate the track record of a potential OBS supplier
How can Anaeko help your Company or Government Department with Cloud Storage Integration Services
Anaeko provides a full suite of cloud storage Audits, Integrations & Migrations. We work with all cloud storage platforms including AWS, IBM Cloud and Azure along with all on-premise storage vendors and private cloud providers to help organisations in highly regulated industries take advantage of the benefits of Cloud Storage.